Blogging can be a great way to make some extra money each month. In fact, I’ve been making 5K a month through blogging for over a year.
Here is how to make 5k a month blogging:
To make 5K a month blogging, choose a niche with potential for high profits, select a blogging platform that will allow you to pursue lucrative display ads, target invisible keywords, and pursue high-profit affiliate programs. Use 5k-worthy blog images and make high-profit blogging videos.
In this article, I’m going to share everything you need to know about how to make 5k a month blogging.
Can You Make 5K a Month Blogging?
There are many bloggers out there who are already making full-time income from their sites. But can you really make 5K a month blogging?
The short answer is yes, you can definitely make 5K a month blogging if you’re willing to put in the work.
If you have a popular blog in a lucrative niche with a solid monetization strategy, then it’s definitely possible to make $5,000 (or more) in a single month.
I know bloggers who make $20K or more per month.
However, if your blog is still fairly new or doesn’t generate a lot of traffic, then you may struggle to reach this earnings goal.
How much you make largely depends on a number of factors, such as your blog’s niche, the amount of traffic you generate, and your monetization strategy.
In order to make $5,000 a month through blogging, you’ll need to focus on growing your traffic and audience first and foremost.
Once you’ve built up a sizeable readership, you can then start thinking about ways to monetize your blog through advertising, sponsorships, affiliate marketing, or selling products and services.
If you’re serious about making money through blogging, then $5,000 a month is definitely achievable.
But you need to know how to do it.
Read the next section to find out exactly how to make 5k a month blogging.
How To Make 5K a Month Blogging
You can make 5K or more each month if you use the right blogging strategies. It’s going to take time and effort, but I’m proof that it is possible.
Here are a few tips on how to make as much money as possible through blogging.
Pick a 5k Niche
The first step to making $5,000 a month blogging is to pick the right niche.
That might seem like a daunting task, but it’s actually not too difficult if you know what you’re looking for.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when choosing your niche:
- Find a niche with high demand and low competition. This is the sweet spot for making money blogging. There are a lot of people searching for information on this topic, but not a lot of blogs provide it.
- Make sure you’re passionate about the niche. It’s much easier to write quality content when you’re passionate about the topic. Otherwise, you’ll quickly get bored and your blog will suffer.
- Choose a niche that you can easily write about. This ties in with being passionate about the topic. If you’re not an expert on the subject, it will be very difficult to produce quality content. You’ll spend too much time on research, fact-checking, and editing.
- Avoid choosing a super-micro niche. It’s important to be specific when selecting your niche but not ultra-specific. You want your niche to be broad but your first content focus to be a micro sub-topic within the broader niche. For example, “fitness” is a possible overall niche for your website. “Weight loss for women over 40” is much better for focusing your first silo of content.
- Do some research to find out if people are actually making money in your chosen niche. This is an important step that many people overlook. Just because there’s demand for information doesn’t mean people are actually making money in that niche.
- Choose a niche that targets a tier 1 audience. My recommendation is to create a website that focuses on middle to upper-class Americans (United States). This is you best chance to make 5k per month from your blog.
Once you’ve chosen a niche, it’s time to set up your website.
Start a Self-Hosted Blog
Self-hosting a blog is one of the best ways to make money blogging. You can make up to 5K a month by self-hosting your blog.
Self-hosting allows you to have complete control over your content and helps you to build a better relationship with your audience.
Additionally, self-hosting gives you the ability to make more money through advertising and other monetization strategies. If you’re serious about making money blogging, then you need to self-host your blog.
There are a few things you need to know before you start self-hosting your blog.
First, you need to purchase a domain name and hosting. You can find both of these things for relatively cheap prices.
Once you have your domain name and hosting, you need to install WordPress as a content management platform. WordPress is free but your domain name and hosting with cost a small amount of money (usually less than $10 per month for everything you need).
Here is what I do for all of my blogs:
- Choose a domain name from NameCheap
- Choose a self-hosted blogging plan from Bluehost or WPX
- Set up my website with WordPress.org
- Select the Astra theme or Kadence theme
WordPress is a free content management system that will help you to create and manage your blog content. I’ve used Bluehost and WPX for years without any trouble.
I get many of my domain names from NameCheap.
You’ll want a domain name that is simple, short, easy to spell and say, and that is relevant to your niche. Also, go wide-open with your domain name.
Domain names like TravelGeek, FoodChef, and GardenWorld can work very well.
Finally, you need to choose a theme for your blog. Astra is free and Kadence is one of the best cheap themes. Once you have all of these things set up, you’re ready to start self-hosting your blog and making money.
Target 5k Keywords
When it comes to how to make 5k a month blogging, one of the most important things is your keyword research strategy.
Keywords are the words we all type into search engines to answer questions and solve problems. They can be a powerful tool to help you attract new readers to your blog.
And, therefore, make money from your blog.
If you’re serious about making money from your blog, then you’ll need to target high-traffic, low-competition keywords that will bring in lots of potential customers.
Here are four tips to help you choose the right 5k keywords for your blog:
- Go for Invisible Keywords. These are keywords with little to no competition. No other blog has written a complete article about just this topic.
- Rank easy keywords. When you write good articles on easy keywords, you rank higher and quicker. This helps Google trust and promote your blog.
- Write content clusters. Write a ton of quality content on a single, small topic within your niche.
- Use keyword tools. I use a mix of free and paid keyword tools to make 5k a month from my websites.
There are a number of tools available to help with your keyword research. With the right tools, it’s easy to find the best keywords to target.
Here are the tools I personally recommend:
Once you have your keywords, write high-quality and informative articles that directly focus on the keyword.
I’ll explain exactly how I produce content in just a moment (If you want to go there now, just skip down to the section, “Write 100 Blog Posts As Fast as You Can”).
Pursue High-Profit Display Ads
There are a few key things you can do to pursue high-profit display ads and make 5K a month blogging.
The first thing you should do is sign up with display ad companies like Google Adsense, Ezoic, Mediavine, and Adthrive.
I typically start with Ezoic and then move to Mediavine and Adthrive when I reach the monthly pageview requirements on a blog.
This will give you access to a wide range of potential advertisers.
Here are a few more display ad tips for how to make 5k a month blogging:
- Place more display ads on your most popular content
- Use video ads on your blog
- Put sticky ads on your articles
- Use a larger font on your website (I like 18 to 20 font sizes)
If you’re looking to make some serious money from blogging, then pursuing high-profit display ads is a great way to do it.
Since revenue with display ads can take up to 12 months from the time you start your website, you will also want to monetize your blog with 5k affiliate programs.
Let’s talk about that next.
Go After 5k Affiliate Programs
If you want to make $5,000 a month from your blog, you’ll need to find and promote programs that pay as much as possible per sale.
While there are many high-paying affiliate programs out there, not all of them will be a good fit for your audience and your marketing style.
You need to go after programs that offer high and recurring commissions.
There are plenty of programs out there that will only give you a few dollars per sale, but there are also plenty that will give you $50 or more.
The key is to find the right balance between commission and competition.
You don’t want to go after a program that has too much competition, because you’ll never make any sales. But you also don’t want to go after a program that doesn’t offer enough commission, because you won’t make enough money (or enough as fast as possible).
The best way to find high-commission affiliate programs is to search for them online.
There are plenty of websites that specialize in listing affiliate programs, and they’ll often have a section for high-commission programs.
Here are a few of my favorite affiliate networks and programs:
- Amazon Associates (high-priced products)
You can also check to see if high-priced products and services in your niche offer affiliate programs.
Usually, you can scroll to the bottom of the homepage and look for “affiliate program” or “affiliates.” Working directly with a company can be extremely lucrative.
Once you’ve found a few programs that you’re interested in, sign up for them and start promoting their products.
If you can get just a few sales per month, you’ll be on your way to making 5k a month from affiliate marketing.
Use 5k-Worthy Blog Images
Another key element in earning $5,000 per month from blogging is using high-quality images.
Two image-generators that I really like:
Canva is a great tool for creating professional-looking images for your blog posts.
With both Jasper Art and Canva, you can create custom images that will make your blog posts stand out and help you attract more readers. Canva is a free online platform that allows you to create custom images for your blog posts.
There is also a paid pro version.
You can choose from a wide variety of templates and designs, or you can create your own design from scratch.
Jasper Art automatically generates images from your text inputs.
Once you’ve created your custom image, you can download it and then upload it to your blog. Make sure to add a title and alt text so that your readers can understand your image easily.
Images may seem like a small afterthought, but using relevant and high-quality images can help you rank higher on Google.
Make High-Profit Blogging Videos
To make some extra money from blogging, one option is to create videos.
This can be a great way to generate income, as long as you know what you’re doing. You can then upload these videos to your blog posts and to YouTube for multiple streams of income.
There are a few things to keep in mind when creating videos for your blog.
- Make sure that the video is high quality and informative
- Create short 1-3 minute videos based on your blog post title and keyword
- Post your video 1/2 or 1/3 of the way down your article
- Use your keyword in the title of the video
Hyper-relevant videos like this build authority with Google, add value to your blog posts, and keep readers on your article longer.
All of this equals higher display ad earnings and affiliate marketing commissions for you.
Here is a good step-by-step video that shows you how to make 5k a month blogging:
Write 100 Articles As Fast As Possible
Making money from blogging can be a slow process, but there are things you can do to speed things up.
One of the most effective is to write more articles.
The goal is to write 100 articles as quickly as possible so that you can start generating traffic and income.
I follow this general template:
- Short 1-2 sentence introduction
- Rephrase the title/keyword into a question
- Google snippet paragraph where I summarize the details of the article in under 300 characters
- 1-10 subheadings
- Final thoughts or conclusion section
- Related posts section
- Sources section (optional)
Just scroll through this blog post a few times to see the template in action.
Creating content can be a time-consuming process, but if you want to make money from blogging, you need to be consistent and churn out new quality articles on a regular basis.
If you can manage to write 100 articles in a month, you stand a good chance of making at least $1,000 or more from your blog within 12-24 months.
Some people make between $2k-6k in the first year.
100 articles is a lot of work, but if you break it down into daily tasks, it’s actually quite achievable.
Here are a few tips to help you write 100 articles in a month:
- Create a content schedule and stick to it. This will help you stay on track and ensure that you publish new articles on a regular basis.
- Use an article template. This will help you save time by having a pre-determined format for your articles. I’m using a template right now with this blog post.
- Batch your content creation. Dedicate a few hours each week to writing new articles so that you can get ahead of the game.
- Set a goal of 1-2 articles per day. You’ll write slower at first (and that’s ok). Keep writing and you will get faster.
- Find a method that works for you. Some people like to outline their articles before they start writing, while others just start writing and see where the article takes them. Find a method that works for you and stick with it.
- Don’t worry about perfection. Just get the words down on paper (or screen). You can always go back and edit your articles later.
- Take advantage of weekends. If you have some extra time on weekends, use it to write a few extra articles.
- Get help from a freelance writer. If you’re struggling to keep up with the demand, consider hiring a freelance writer to help you out. Fiverr is a great resource for writers.
- Use an AI-writer. My favorite is Jasper but you might also want to check out WriterSonic, WordPlay.ai, Rytr, WordHero, and RocketContent.
- Leverage automation software like Cheat Layer. I use Cheat Layer to click-create content, images, and more. This has become an essential part of my workflow.
Following these tips should help you write 100 articles in a month, making it easier to achieve your goal of making $5,000 from your blog.
Write On Medium While You Wait for Hockey Stick Growth
Medium is a popular online publishing platform that allows writers to share their articles with a wide audience.
What’s more, Medium pays its writers for every article that is read by its members. This means that you can actually earn money while you wait for your blog to start ranking on Google.
Writing on Medium is a great option if you’re looking for a way to make some extra money while you wait for your blog to take off.
Not only will you be able to share your articles with a wide audience, but you’ll also be able to earn money while you do it.
This is the exact strategy I used to start making $1-$3k per month blogging on Medium during the first year I launched my blog.
I highly recommend this strategy to new bloggers.
If you do choose to write on Medium, make sure that you know how to write a Medium bio, select the best publications, and follow the rules of the platform.
How Long Will It Take To Make 5k a Month Blogging?
Some bloggers are able to achieve this goal within a few months, while others may take a year or more. On average, you can expect it to take between 2-5 years.
The time it takes to make 5k a month blogging will ultimately depend on your niche, the quality of your content, and your marketing efforts.
However, if you’re consistent and patient, you can definitely make this happen.
You can speed up the process by:
- Choosing a high-profit niche targeted to a US audience
- Writing helpful articles about products and brands within your niche
- Writing content with buyer intent (blog posts around topics and questions people ask when they want to buy something)
- Producing more content faster
- Purchasing an aged domain (from sites like Empire Builders, Flippa, etc)
- Writing on Medium alongside your self-hosted website.
If you follow those tips, you can make 5k per month blogging in 12-24 months (that’s what happened with me).
How Many Blog Posts To Make 5k a Month Blogging?
After doing some research and running some figures, you will probably need between 300 to 500 blog posts to make $5,000 per month.
Each case is different so you may need more or less.
The answer for you, of course, depends on a number of factors, including your niche, your audience, and your blogging strategies.
But 300 to 500 blog posts is a good baseline range to shoot for in your content creation plan.
Of course, simply publishing blog posts isn’t enough. You also need to make sure that your posts are well-written and informative, and that they target key keywords that your audience is searching for.
Not all of your blog posts will generate much income. Some posts will be more popular than others, and some will generate much more revenue than others.
Once you have 100 blog posts, study y our analytics.
Find out which topics make you the most money and then double down on those topics.
Can You Make 10K a Month Blogging?
Yes, you can make 10k a month blogging.
This isn’t going to happen overnight. And it isn’t going to happen without a lot of hard work. But if you’re dedicated to your blog and are willing to put in the time and effort, it is possible to make a decent income from blogging.
So, how can you make $10,000 a month from blogging?
You simply continue applying the tips in this blogging guide. You write 500-1,000 blog posts on low-competition topics, move to a higher-paying display ad network (like Mediavine or AdThrive), and offer your own course or products.
Final Thoughts: How To Make 5K a Month Blogging
If you want to make 5K a month blogging, you need to produce high-quality content based on low-competition keywords consistently.
That’s what I’ve done for each of my four websites over the last few years.
One of my biggest issues with blogging is having enough time to produce content. You can solve that by using the best AI writers and other professional blogging tools.
Read these posts next: