Writing a screenplay is a fascinating and challenging process that requires creativity, dedication, and structure.
With the help of AI, such as ChatGPT, the process can be streamlined, and you can focus on bringing your story to life.
Here’s how to write a screenplay with ChatGPT:
Write a screenplay with ChatGPT by asking the tool to brainstorm ideas, outline story structure, develop characters, and format scenes. Utilize AI prompts to generate content and address special writing circumstances, while adhering to industry standards and incorporating diverse perspectives.
In this step-by-step guide, we’ll explore how to write a screenplay from start to finish using ChatGPT, covering topics like high-concept premises, outlining, and screenplay structure.
How to Write a Screenplay with ChatGPT (Step By Step)
You can write a screenplay with ChatGPT by asking the AI to help you with the:
- High-Concept Premise
- Screenplay Structure (there are several)
- Actual writing
- Reviewing and revising
Coming Up with a High-Concept Premise
A high-concept premise refers to a one-of-a-kind and innovative idea that can be succinctly communicated in just a sentence or two.
It should be engaging, appealing, and capable of attracting an audience.
To come up with a high-concept premise, consider the following steps:
- Brainstorm ideas. Make a list of possible ideas, drawing inspiration from your personal experiences, news stories, or your favorite movies.
- Narrow down your list. Choose the most compelling and unique ideas from your list.
- Refine your concept. Develop your chosen idea further, adding details, twists, or unique elements to make it more appealing.
Help me come up with a high-concept premise for a screenplay. The idea should be unique, engaging, and easy to pitch in a sentence or two.
Choosing a Screenplay Structure
There are several popular screenplay structures you can choose from when writing your screenplay.
Three of the most widely used structures are the Save the Cat Beat Sheet, The Hero’s Journey, and the Three-Act Structure. Each has its advantages and can be used to guide your story effectively.
Save the Cat Beat Sheet
The Save the Cat Beat Sheet, which was developed by Blake Snyder, has become a popular framework for screenplays. It consists of 15 specific beats or plot points that help you create a well-paced and engaging story.
These beats include:
- Opening Image
- Theme Stated
- Break into Act Two
- B Story
- Fun and Games
- Bad Guys Close In
- All is Lost
- Dark Night of the Soul
- Break into Act Three
- Final Image
The Hero’s Journey
The Hero’s Journey is a popular storytelling structure based on Joseph Campbell’s monomyth. It involves 17 stages that guide the protagonist’s journey.
These stages are:
- Ordinary World
- Call to Adventure
- Refusal of the Call
- Meeting the Mentor
- Crossing the Threshold
- Tests, Allies, and Enemies
- Approach to the Inmost Cave
- The Road Back
- Return with the Elixir
The Three-Act Structure is a classic storytelling framework that divides your screenplay into three distinct parts: Setup, Confrontation, and Resolution.
Each act serves a specific purpose:
- Setup (Act One): Introduce the characters, setting, and main conflict.
- Confrontation (Act Two): The protagonist faces obstacles and challenges.
- Resolution (Act Three): The climax and resolution of the story.
Help me choose the best screenplay structure for my high-concept premise: [insert your high-concept premise here]. Compare the Save the Cat Beat Sheet, The Hero’s Journey, and the Three-Act Structure in the context of my premise.
Outlining Your Screenplay
Once you’ve chosen a screenplay structure, it’s time to outline your story.
Outlining your screenplay helps you plan your scenes, develop your characters, and ensure your story flows smoothly.
Here’s how to create an outline for your screenplay:
- Define your characters. Create profiles for your main characters, including their background, motivations, strengths, and weaknesses.
- Break down your structure. Divide your chosen structure into its individual beats, stages, or acts. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the purpose of each.
- Fill in the scenes. Assign specific scenes to each beat, stage, or act in your structure. This process will help you visualize your story and create a detailed roadmap for your screenplay.
- Add subplots and secondary characters. Develop subplots that enhance your main story and create secondary characters to support your protagonist’s journey.
- Review and revise. Go over your outline and revise any sections that need improvement. Make sure your story flows smoothly and logically.
Help me create an outline for my screenplay using [chosen structure] for my high-concept premise: [insert your high-concept premise here]. Please provide scene ideas for each beat, stage, or act in the structure.
Writing Your Screenplay with ChatGPT
With your outline complete, it’s time to start writing your screenplay using ChatGPT.
Follow these steps to write your screenplay efficiently:
- Set the scene. Begin each scene with a scene heading (also known as a slugline) that describes the location and time of day.
- Write the action. Describe the action happening in the scene, using concise and evocative language. Focus on visual elements that can be captured on screen.
- Write the dialogue. Write the characters’ conversations, ensuring that each line is distinct, engaging, and reveals character traits or advances the plot.
- Use ChatGPT to help with writer’s block. If you find yourself stuck or unsure how to progress, use ChatGPT to generate ideas or suggestions for your screenplay.
- Maintain consistency. Ensure your writing style, tone, and formatting are consistent throughout your screenplay.
Help me write the opening scene of my screenplay, starting with a scene heading and including action and dialogue, based on my high-concept premise: [insert your high-concept premise here] and the outline.
I’m experiencing writer’s block. Can you provide suggestions for the next scene in my screenplay based on this outline? [insert relevant portion of your outline here].
Formatting Your Screenplay
Proper formatting is essential when writing a screenplay.
Use these formatting guidelines to ensure your screenplay meets industry standards:
- Use screenwriting software. Screenwriting software, like Final Draft or Celtx, can help you maintain proper formatting throughout your screenplay. ChatGPT can also help automatically format your screenplay.
- Font and margins. Use 12-point Courier font with 1-inch margins on all sides.
- Scene headings. Write scene headings in all caps, using INT. or EXT. for interior or exterior locations, followed by the location and time of day.
- Action. Write action lines in present tense, using clear and concise language.
- Dialogue. Center and capitalize character names above their dialogue. Write dialogue in standard sentence case.
- Transitions. Use transitions sparingly, such as CUT TO: or FADE OUT, and align them to the right margin.
Please review my screenplay excerpt and make any formatting changes to meet industry standards: [insert your screenplay excerpt here]
Reviewing and Revising Your Screenplay
After completing your screenplay, it’s essential to review and revise your work.
Consider asking ChatGPT (and other AI tools) to polish up your screenplay:
- Take a break. Give yourself some time away from your screenplay to gain a fresh perspective.
- Read your screenplay aloud. Reading your screenplay aloud can help you identify awkward phrasing or dialogue that doesn’t sound natural. There are many tools that will read your script to you. I suggest Speechify or Murf.ai. Many Chrome Extensions also allow text to speech.
- Check for consistency. Ensure your story, character arcs, and tone remain consistent throughout your screenplay.
- Get feedback. Share your screenplay with trusted friends or colleagues for feedback and suggestions.
- Revise and rewrite. Use the feedback you’ve received to revise your screenplay, improving dialogue, pacing, and character development.
- Proofread. Check your screenplay for spelling, grammar, and formatting errors.
Please review my completed screenplay and provide suggestions for improvement, focusing on dialogue, pacing, character development, and consistency: [paste sections of your screenplay here]
How To Write a Screenplay With ChatGPT (Example)
I thought it might be fun to include actual excerpts of a screenplay written by ChatGPT.
Keep reading to read a premise, outline, and scene of an action screenplay ChatGPT titled
Help me come up with a high-concept premise for an action screenplay. The idea should be unique, engaging, and easy to pitch in a sentence or two.
In a world where time travel is controlled by an oppressive government, a skilled but disillusioned agent must team up with a band of rebels to dismantle the system and prevent the erasure of key historical events.
Outline (Three-Act Structure)
Help me create an outline for my action screenplay using the Three-Act Structure for my high-concept premise: In a world where time travel is controlled by an oppressive government, a skilled but disillusioned agent must team up with a band of rebels to dismantle the system and prevent the erasure of key historical events.
Act One: Setup
- Introduce protagonist, Alex, a skilled time-travel agent working for the government.
- Show the oppressive nature of the government and their control over time travel.
- Alex learns about the government’s plan to erase key historical events to maintain power.
- Alex meets the rebels, led by the charismatic and resourceful leader, Maya.
- Alex decides to join the rebels, setting the stage for the main conflict.
Act Two: Confrontation
- Alex and the rebels plan to infiltrate the government’s time-travel headquarters.
- They successfully steal information about the government’s plan and the necessary technology.
- Alex trains with the rebels, learning new skills and developing a bond with the group.
- The government becomes aware of their infiltration and increases security measures.
- The rebels face internal conflicts, questioning Alex’s loyalty and motives.
- The government erases a key historical event, causing a ripple effect in the timeline.
- The stakes are raised, and Alex and the rebels must act quickly to prevent further damage.
Act Three: Resolution
- The rebels launch a daring assault on the government’s time-travel headquarters.
- Alex faces off against his former mentor and superior, revealing a deeper conspiracy.
- The rebels restore the erased historical event, averting the timeline crisis.
- In a climactic battle, the rebels dismantle the government’s control over time travel.
- Alex and Maya decide to form a new organization to safeguard time and history.
Help me write the opening scene of my action screenplay, starting with a scene heading and including action and dialogue, based on my high-concept premise: In a world where time travel is controlled by an oppressive government, a skilled but disillusioned agent must team up with a band of rebels to dismantle the system and prevent the erasure of key historical events.
INT. TIME-TRAVEL AGENCY – CONTROL ROOM – NIGHT
A dimly lit control room, filled with advanced technology and large monitors displaying complex data. AGENTS in sleek uniforms are working at their stations. ALEX (30s), a skilled agent, stands before a TIME-TRAVEL PLATFORM, wearing a high-tech suit.
DIRECTOR VANCE (50s), a stern, authoritative figure, watches over Alex from a raised platform.
Remember, Alex, your mission is to retrieve the artifact and return immediately. No unauthorized interactions with the past.
Understood, Director. Alex steps onto the platform. The room fills with a blinding light and a loud hum as the time-travel process activates.
EXT. ANCIENT TEMPLE – NIGHT – THE PAST
Alex appears in the past, surrounded by the ruins of an ancient temple
Check out this video of me using ChatGPT to write a screenplay:
Handling Special Screenplay Circumstances with ChatGPT
There are numerous special circumstances that may arise when writing a screenplay, such as dance scenes, large-scale battles, or multiple points of view.
In this section, we’ll discuss how ChatGPT can help you navigate these unique situations by providing examples and prompts.
1. Dance Scenes
Dance scenes require the writer to convey movement, rhythm, and emotion without relying on dialogue.
ChatGPT can help you describe the choreography and atmosphere of the dance scene effectively.
Help me write a captivating dance scene for my screenplay that conveys the emotions, movement, and rhythm without relying on dialogue.
2. Large-Scale Battles
Writing large-scale battle scenes can be challenging due to the numerous characters, action sequences, and strategic movements involved.
ChatGPT can help you break down the battle into smaller, manageable segments and ensure the action remains engaging and coherent.
Help me write a large-scale battle scene for my screenplay, including key characters, action sequences, and strategic movements.
3. Multiple Points of View (POV)
Incorporating multiple points of view in your screenplay can enhance the story’s depth and complexity.
ChatGPT can help you brainstorm and develop distinct voices and perspectives for each of your characters, ensuring smooth transitions between different POVs.
Assist me in writing a scene with multiple points of view, focusing on distinct voices and perspectives for each character.
Montages are a powerful storytelling tool, allowing you to convey the passage of time, character development, or a series of events in a concise manner.
ChatGPT can help you create a compelling montage sequence that effectively communicates the desired information.
Help me write a montage sequence for my screenplay that shows the protagonist’s training and personal growth over a period of time.
Flashbacks can provide valuable backstory and character development.
ChatGPT can help you write a flashback scene that integrates seamlessly into your screenplay while maintaining the pacing and tone of your story.
Assist me in writing a flashback scene for my screenplay that reveals important backstory and character development.
Voiceovers can offer insight into a character’s thoughts or provide narration to guide the audience through the story.
ChatGPT can help you write engaging voiceover dialogue that adds depth to your screenplay.
Help me write a voiceover for my protagonist that reveals their thoughts and emotions during a critical moment in the story.
7. Dream Sequences
Dream sequences can be used to reveal a character’s subconscious, fears, or desires.
ChatGPT can help you write a vivid, surreal dream sequence that effectively conveys the intended message.
Help me write a dream sequence for my screenplay that explores the protagonist’s deepest fears and desires.
8. Nonlinear Storytelling
Nonlinear storytelling can create an engaging and unique narrative structure for your screenplay.
ChatGPT can help you plan and execute a nonlinear storyline, ensuring that the transitions between different timelines are smooth and coherent.
Assist me in writing a nonlinear screenplay by providing suggestions for how to effectively transition between different timelines and maintain narrative clarity.
9. Split Screen Scenes
Split screen scenes can be used to convey simultaneous events, create tension, or highlight contrasts between characters or situations.
ChatGPT can help you write a split screen scene that effectively communicates the intended effect and maintains the pacing of your screenplay.
Help me write a split screen scene for my screenplay that effectively conveys simultaneous events and creates tension between two characters.
10. Ensemble Cast Scenes
Writing scenes with an ensemble cast can be challenging due to the need to give each character their own voice, motivation, and unique interactions.
ChatGPT can help you develop engaging dialogue and interactions for ensemble cast scenes, ensuring that each character remains distinct and contributes to the overall narrative.
Assist me in writing a scene with an ensemble cast, focusing on distinct voices, motivations, and interactions for each character.
11. ChatGPT for Television and Episodic Content
Writing television episodes or web series with ChatGPT presents unique challenges, such as developing episodic story arcs, maintaining consistency in serialized narratives, and adapting to different formats and genres.
Here are some ways ChatGPT can help you navigate these challenges:
- Episodic story arcs. Use ChatGPT to brainstorm ideas for individual episodes or multi-episode story arcs that fit within your overarching narrative.
- Maintaining consistency. ChatGPT can assist you in ensuring that your serialized narrative maintains consistency in tone, character development, and story progression across multiple episodes or seasons.
- Adapting to formats and genres. ChatGPT can help you adapt your writing style and approach to fit the specific format and genre of your television or web series project.
Help me come up with a three-episode story arc for my sci-fi television series that explores the theme of artificial intelligence.
12. Writing Diverse and Inclusive Screenplays
ChatGPT can help you create diverse and inclusive characters, settings, and stories while avoiding stereotypes and promoting authentic representation.
Here’s how you can use ChatGPT to enhance diversity and inclusivity in your screenplay:
- Character creation. Use ChatGPT to generate diverse characters with unique backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives that reflect the real
- Avoiding stereotypes ChatGPT can help you identify and avoid stereotypes in your screenplay by suggesting more authentic and nuanced characterizations.
- Cultural sensitivity. Use ChatGPT to research and understand different cultures and experiences, ensuring that your screenplay handles sensitive topics with care and authenticity.
Help me create a diverse ensemble of characters for my ensemble drama screenplay, each with a unique background and perspective.
13. Networking and Marketing with AI Assistance
ChatGPT can be an invaluable resource for writers looking to create engaging marketing materials for their screenplays.
Use the AI to help you craft compelling loglines, synopses, and query letters to pitch your screenplay to agents, producers, or film festivals.
- Loglines. Craft a concise and engaging logline that captures the essence of your screenplay and hooks potential readers.
- Synopses. Use ChatGPT to help you write a brief synopsis that effectively summarizes your screenplay’s plot, characters, and themes. This will help potential readers quickly grasp the essence of your story and determine if it’s a good fit for their needs.
- Query letters. ChatGPT can assist you in crafting persuasive query letters that showcase your unique voice and style while highlighting the strengths of your screenplay.
How To Write a Script With ChatGPT (Summary Chart of Prompts)
|Screenplay Element||Example Prompt|
|1. High-concept premise||Help me come up with a high-concept premise for a sci-fi screenplay.|
|2. Character profiles||Create a character profile for my protagonist, including background, strengths, and weaknesses.|
|3. Character arcs||Help me develop a compelling character arc for my protagonist.|
|4. Plot twists||Suggest a plot twist for my thriller screenplay that will surprise the audience.|
|5. Inciting incident||Help me write the inciting incident for my action-adventure screenplay.|
|6. Climax||Assist me in crafting an exciting and satisfying climax for my screenplay.|
|7. Resolution||Help me write a resolution that wraps up my screenplay’s storylines and character arcs.|
|8. Dialogue||Provide a sample dialogue exchange between my protagonist and antagonist.|
|9. Subplots||Suggest a subplot that complements my main story and adds depth to my screenplay.|
|10. Scene descriptions||Help me describe an intense car chase scene in my action screenplay.|
|11. Visual metaphors||Suggest a visual metaphor to represent my protagonist’s inner turmoil.|
|12. Foreshadowing||Help me incorporate foreshadowing into my screenplay to hint at future events.|
|13. Flashbacks||Assist me in writing a flashback scene that reveals my protagonist’s backstory.|
|14. Montages||Help me write a training montage for my sports drama screenplay.|
|15. Voiceovers||Provide a sample voiceover for my protagonist reflecting on a past decision.|
|16. Dream sequences||Help me write a surreal dream sequence that conveys my character’s subconscious fears.|
|17. Title||Suggest a catchy and intriguing title for my screenplay.|
|18. Logline||Help me craft a compelling logline for my romantic comedy screenplay.|
|19. Synopsis||Write a brief synopsis for my mystery screenplay.|
|20. Opening scene||Help me write an engaging and impactful opening scene for my screenplay.|
|21. Closing scene||Assist me in writing a memorable and satisfying closing scene for my screenplay.|
|22. Action sequences||Help me write a thrilling fight scene between my protagonist and antagonist.|
|23. Emotional scenes||Assist me in crafting a deeply emotional scene where my protagonist confronts a personal loss.|
|24. Comedy scenes||Help me write a humorous scene for my comedy screenplay that showcases my protagonist’s wit.|
|25. Romance scenes||Provide a sample romantic scene between my two lead characters.|
|26. Suspense scenes||Help me create a suspenseful scene that keeps the audience on the edge of their seats.|
|27. Time transitions||Assist me in writing a time transition to show the passage of several years in my screenplay.|
|28. Location transitions||Help me write a smooth location transition for a scene change in my screenplay.|
|29. Split screen scenes||Help me write a split screen scene that conveys simultaneous events in my screenplay.|
|30. Ensemble cast scenes||Assist me in writing a scene featuring an ensemble cast with distinct voices and interactions.|
|31. Scene pacing||Provide suggestions to improve the pacing of a specific scene in my screenplay.|
|32. Character introductions||Help me write a memorable and engaging introduction for my protagonist.|
|33. Subtext||Assist me in adding subtext to a dialogue exchange between two characters.|
|34. Visual storytelling||Help me incorporate visual storytelling elements into this scene.|
|35. Setting||Help me describe a futuristic city setting for my sci-fi screenplay.|
|36. Tone||Provide suggestions on how to establish a dark and moody tone in my noir screenplay.|
|37. Theme||Help me explore the theme of redemption in my drama screenplay.|
|38. Conflict||Suggest an internal and external conflict for my protagonist to face.|
|39. Parallel storylines||Assist me in developing parallel storylines that eventually intersect in my screenplay.|
|40. Foils||Help me create a foil character to highlight my protagonist’s strengths and weaknesses.|
|41. Symbolism||Suggest a symbol to represent my protagonist’s journey throughout the story.|
|42. Motifs||Help me incorporate a motif related to the theme of identity in my screenplay.|
|43. Musical sequences||Help me write a musical sequence for my movie musical screenplay.|
|44. Chase scenes||Assist me in writing a thrilling chase scene on foot through a crowded city.|
|45. Heist scenes||Help me plan a heist scene where my characters steal a valuable artifact from a museum.|
|46. Courtroom scenes||Provide a sample dialogue exchange for a tense courtroom scene in my legal drama screenplay.|
|47. Stakes||Help me raise the stakes for my protagonist in the second act of my screenplay.|
|48. Antagonist motivations||Assist me in developing a believable and compelling motivation for my antagonist.|
|49. Mentor characters||Help me create a mentor character who guides my protagonist throughout the story.|
|50. Climactic confrontations||Assist me in writing a climactic confrontation between my protagonist and antagonist.|
Tips for Writing a Screenplay with ChatGPT
Writing a screenplay with ChatGPT can be an enjoyable and productive experience if you follow a few key tips.
These suggestions will help you make the most of your collaboration with the AI writer and create a screenplay that is engaging and effective.
- Be specific with your prompts. To get the most accurate and helpful responses from ChatGPT, provide clear instructions and be specific about your requirements. This will help the AI understand your vision and deliver results that meet your expectations.
- Experiment with different prompts. Don’t hesitate to experiment with various prompts and approaches. If you’re not satisfied with the AI’s response, rephrase your prompt or ask for alternatives.
- Outline your screenplay before starting. Before diving into writing individual scenes, outline your screenplay’s structure, including the beginning, middle, and end. This will help you maintain a clear direction while working with ChatGPT.
- Use ChatGPT for brainstorming. ChatGPT can be a valuable brainstorming tool when you’re stuck or need inspiration. Use the AI to explore different ideas, scenarios, and possibilities for your screenplay.
- Edit and revise. Remember that ChatGPT’s output may not always be perfect. Be prepared to edit and revise the AI-generated content to ensure it aligns with your vision and meets industry standards.
- Collaborate with others. While ChatGPT can be an excellent writing assistant, collaborating with fellow writers or script consultants can provide valuable human feedback and insights that will help elevate your screenplay.
Common Mistakes When Writing a Screenplay with ChatGPT
Avoiding common mistakes when writing a screenplay with ChatGPT can help you create a more polished and professional final product.
Be aware of these pitfalls and take steps to prevent them.
- Over-reliance on AI-generated content. ChatGPT is a powerful tool, but it’s essential to remember that it’s not a substitute for your creativity and expertise. Make sure you retain control over your screenplay’s vision and don’t rely solely on AI-generated content.
- Not providing enough context. To get the best results from ChatGPT, provide the necessary context for each prompt. Failing to do so may result in responses that don’t fit your screenplay or lack cohesion.
- Ignoring structure and pacing. When working with ChatGPT, it’s easy to get caught up in generating individual scenes or dialogue exchanges. However, it’s crucial to maintain a focus on your screenplay’s overall structure and pacing to ensure a coherent and engaging narrative.
- Not proofreading and editing. ChatGPT’s output may contain errors or inconsistencies. Always proofread and edit the AI-generated content to ensure it meets industry standards and aligns with your vision.
- Forgetting character development. While ChatGPT can help you develop interesting characters, it’s essential to maintain a focus on character arcs, motivations, and growth throughout your screenplay. Make sure your characters remain consistent and evolve in a meaningful way.
- Relying on clichés and stereotypes. AI-generated content can sometimes rely on clichés and stereotypes. Be aware of this tendency and make an effort to create unique, fresh, and authentic content for your screenplay.
Final Thoughts: How To Write a Screenplay With ChatGPT
We have a lot more articles on this website about writing screenplays, developing characters, and the tools that make script-writing much easier.
Check out some of them below (I’ve handpicked them just for you).
Read This Next: