You are about to learn 10 eBook marketing strategies to explode your eBook sales.
These ten strategies work separately, but they are most powerful (and lucrative) when employed in unison.
Here are the eBook marketing strategies you need to know:
The secret to selling more eBooks is leveraging your existing content into multiple eBook marketing “machines” that automatically and continuously feed both useable content and hot traffic to your virtual doorstep. You can use a mix of proven online marketing strategies and hacks, brilliantly combined, to surge your sales starting today.
In this article, you’ll learn everything you need to know about ebook marketing strategies.
10 eBook Marketing Strategies (Explode your eBook Sales)
Ok, let’s get to it. here are the 10 best eBook marketing strategies for 2022 (and beyond).
Not only do they work like gangbusters, but the majority are also free eBook marketing strategies. When you “flip” all ten switches, you turn on ten supercharged eBook marketing machines that not only explode your eBook sales but also pay you to market your book!
While they are not all in the exact order of priority, they do follow a natural growth pattern.
Depending on your current circumstances, expertise, resources, and motivation, one particular eBook marketing strategy might jump out at you as most relevant and effective.
I’ll start with what I think might be the lowest-hanging fruit.
Then, we’ll work our way up through the simple strategies, step-by-step, so that you can see how the “snowball” effect can potentially blow all of your prior monthly eBook sales numbers out of the water.
We’ll look at them one at a time, discuss how they connect and empower each other, and show you exactly how to put them to work for you.
Let’s get started…
10) FB Group eBook Marketing Machine
This isn’t about joining a bunch of Facebook groups related to your topic and spamming the members. That never works. You’ll get kicked out, blocked, and may be sent to Facebook jail. Don’t be that person.
You should be joining relevant Facebook groups to engage with people who need what your eBook teaches.
That could be making money online, gardening, finding true love, or writing a bestseller. You don’t engage to sell; you engage to learn. Facebook groups (and other online groups) can be a never-ending resource for you.
How? In these groups, you develop relationships, build credibility, and offer ridiculous amounts of value by answering questions, making suggestions, and supporting other members. Not only is that good business, but it’s also good living.
At the same time, you are learning TONS about your target audience: what they want, need, and struggle with on a daily basis. This information can be collected, packaged, and leveraged into a million pieces of video, audio, and written content (or collections of content such as other eBooks, lead generation products, or courses).
So, yes, after you read this blog post, go and join a few of these online groups. Be a good member. Add tons of value and pay attention. Giving really is living.
That is just the first part of the hack.
Here’s another: Create a new Facebook group around your topic.
If you think there is eBook marketing value in membership, wait until you see the eBook promotion goldmine of being the admin of a group. As the admin, you set the tone of the group.
You control who can join, who stays in the group, and who gets kicked out.
You, yourself, are in charge so you can never be kicked out (except by the Facebook overlords, but you get the point). For all practical purposes, it’s your group.
Set up your Facebook group for marketing your eBooks:
- Use a keyword for or in your group name (a word or phrase closely associated with your eBook topic). For example, I created a Facebook Group called “3% Man” after the popular dating book, How to Be a 3% Man by Corey Wayne.
- Hundreds of men joined in the first few months (currently we are up to 1.5 thousand members, many of them active and engaged).
- The group name is easy to find in a search, brand relevant, and works like a charm. Pro tip: seriously consider not using the name of your eBook so that the group doesn’t seem to sell. Use the topic or a result someone might want.
- What results does your eBook offer? Consider using the results, such as Make a Real Living Online or Lose Weight Together.
- Create a nice and relevant Cover Image for the Facebook group (Anything related to your topic will do).
- For my 3% Man group, I used a cover image of the book that transformed so many of our dating lives. Again, it’s relevant, trusted, and speaks the language of my audience.
- Create a set of New Member Join questions. Here is where it gets really fun. Ask questions that will help you know how to sell your eBook (questions about experience with the topic, needs, wants, goals, etc.)
- The questions should also rule out anyone who you might not want in the group. For example, in my group, I ask questions only someone who has read the 3% Man book would know how to answer.
- Correctly answering the question gains membership. You may or may not want to do the same. The pro is that you build more quality members over quantity of members.
- The con is that these screening questions can keep people out and make it harder to build a larger group. What you decide depends on your goals and strategy. Either way, you win!
- One of the new member request questions should be to give you their email address (this will come into play later in the eBook marketing strategies).
- If nothing else, this will allow you to keep in contact with the members of your group if Facebook decides to stop groups, close your group or remove you as the admin.
- Pin a post at the top of the group that is the first thing new members see when they join. This post should be positive, welcoming, and encourage engagement (like share your story, biggest question, challenge, etc.) and reinforce the “rules” of the group – be kind, no promotional spamming by members, etc.
- Moderate the group. Be engaged. Share value. Kick members out that don’t follow the rules. It’s your kingdom. Rule it with kindness while holding people respectfully accountable.
- If you don’t moderate or enlist other active members to be moderators, the group can quickly default into irrelevant memes, political bashing, bullying, nonstop promotion, and other nonhelpful circumstances. None of this will likely help you market your eBook.
- I don’t recommend you promote your eBook constantly either. Occasionally, sure, since it adds value to the members (To a member posting a question, you might reply with a short, helpful answer and then say, “I wrote about this in detail in my eBook.
- If you want to know more, send me a private message”) or something to that effect. If you spam, you will lose members and potentially kill the engagement. Tread lightly, admin kindly, give generously and listen wholeheartedly. As you will see later in this article, the information in this group will give you much more than a few sales. Just wait and see.
If this sounds like a lot of work, please be assured that it seems harder than it actually is in action. I launched my 3% Man Facebook Group in about 10-15 minutes. Once you set it up, you simply check in and add value.
As you do, you are building two important elements that will transform your eBook marketing strategies: a growing email list and tons of information about your audience.
This is your first marketing machine, and it’s about to make you a bunch of eBook sales.
9) Content Marketing Machine
Now that you have your Facebook Group eBook Marketing Machine up and running, you can turn to this next engine. Remember all that data you gathered from your group members? All the information you collected to write your eBook in the first place? It’s time to put that information into good (and lucrative) use.
The short version is that you turn that data (audience wants, needs, challenges, questions) into a series of blog posts that provide a ridiculous amount of value. By now you have a constant flow of content ideas from your Facebook Group.
To 10X your results with this marketing strategy, take the following simple steps:
- Get a self-hosting platform so you are in control (just like being the admin of your Facebook Group). I recommend Bluehost because they are super cheap and offer great customer service.
- I use them for all of my websites.
- The best free alternative for hosting is Google Sites. It’s 100% free.
- However, if you are looking for long-term eBook marketing strategies, eBook marketing campaigns, and eBook sales, I highly recommend that you start with a bootstrap budget (but professional) hosting platform like Bluehost.
- Read my post on how to set one up.
- Set up a simple WordPress.org site with a free (or, if you want, cheap) theme.
- While you are at it, Google a few videos on setting up a new blog, search engine optimization (SEO), and content marketing.
- Don’t worry: You can ramp up your knowledge very quickly.
- You don’t have to understand or do everything right for this to work.
- The important part is to get this Content eBook Marketing Machine set up and running.
- I’m also working on a few blog posts and videos about SEO and content marketing so stay tuned for links to those resources.
- Post consistently (as much as possible, especially in the beginning).
- You should have tons of content you can pull from your eBook, personal experience, and Facebook Group.
- Post once a day if you can, or as much as you realistically can manage, until you have around 90 solid posts.
- The faster you get to 90 valuable posts, the better.
- You might not see traffic right away, but if you stick with it before you know it Google will decide to trust your content.
- Then the avalanche of traffic will hit. At that point, you can slow down a bit (but don’t stop).
- As you race toward 90 posts, keep learning and applying SEO and other blogging best practices.
- Don’t overly stress about being perfect, just keep posting and learning.
Why 90 posts? It takes a few months or longer for Google to start sending you tons of traffic.
But, oh man, when it comes! If you set up this Marketing Machine right and follow through with consistent, optimized content, your eBook sales can skyrocket.
Again, once you have this eBook promotion machine set up, it virtually runs on its own. All you do is feed it with content from your Facebook Groups and Google will feed you potential prospects, a percentage of which will purchase your eBook.
That’s great! You are making more sales (and will continue to make more eBook sales) as your blog grows in readership over the months and years. But that’s not the end game.
As you grow your blogging content marketing machine, you can also monetize that blog by:
- Signing up to be an affiliate for other people’s products (you bring them sales, and you get a percentage of the sale).
- Amazon affiliates, Clickbank, and ShareASell are three very popular affiliate companies with bloggers.
- For many bloggers, affiliate income is their top income stream.
- You are starting to get paid to market your eBooks!
- Signing up for ads on your website (that’s another reason you need a self-hosted website).
- As traffic booms, some of these visitors will click on some of the ads on your website.
- That’s when you get paid to market your eBook!
- The pay might be smaller starting out, but as your traffic grows, so will your profits.
- Once you hit around 20,000 page views per month, switch to MediaVine (another ad company) that pays even better.
- Now you are generating a whole new income stream (and paid nicely I might add) to promote your eBook and any other products or services you offer.
- Creating new products from all that juicy audience information you are gathering in your Facebook Group.
- Then you offer those new products (new eBooks, videos, courses, printables, etc.) to both the members of your Facebook Group, to your blog readers, and…remember those email addresses you have been collecting?
8) Email Marketing Machine
This brings us to the Email eBook Marketing Machine. First things first, you don’t have to (and probably shouldn’t) wait to jumpstart this promotional method.
I recommend you start marketing your eBook through email the moment you start collecting email addresses (from your Facebook Group and anywhere else).
At this point, you have your Facebook eBook Marketing Machine in full gear, churning out a constant supply of new email addresses and sweet, sweet content ideas.
You have set up your blog and you are posting consistent valuable content. You may already be getting ad revenue and affiliate fees. You might even be creating new highly valuable products and offering them to your people.
Awesome! Now it’s time to flip the switch on the Email eBook Marketing Machine. It’s one of the most powerful machines in these marketing strategies, so don’t be surprised when it roars.
Here are the steps you can take: (A quick Google search will get results that will also walk you through this process)
- If you haven’t already done so, go get all those email addresses you have collected from your Facebook Group.
- Sign up with an email management platform.
- I recommend MailerLite to start since it has a free version for up to 1,000 subscribers.
- Once you develop a bigger email list (or if you want to invest a bit more upfront to be prepared for the massive traffic these machines are going to send you), go with ClickFunnels.
- It has by far the most intuitive and powerful features to send your eBook marketing results through the roof.
- Load your collected email addresses into the email management platform. (Now you have an email list that you control and to whom you can market your eBook forever – virtual high five!)
- Pro tip: your email management platform will likely have tutorials and helplines for you to get any answers you might need right away.
Next, develop an autoresponder sequence of 8 emails that your new subscribers will get once they join your email list. These are emails that will automatically be sent to new subscribers so it’s a mini marketing machine inside this larger eBook marketing strategy.
- The first email should be a simple welcome and introduction email.
- The second through the fifth email should be offering massive value for free with no strings attached.
- What kind of value? You can go back to your constant feed of questions, needs, and wants from your Facebook and other online groups to get ideas.
- Again, once you create these emails, you simply sit back and let the email platform automatically send them out. It’s not 100% passive, but it’s about as close as you can get.
- The last three emails are where you start selling your eBook.
- You can follow this sequence: 6th email (introduce eBook), 7th email (FAQs about eBook), and 8th email (Offer the eBook with a deadline for taking action, i.e. 24 hours).
Create sign-up forms/landing pages
Create a landing page and a few sign-up forms so that potential customers can easily join your email list. A best practice is to offer a free resource (called a Lead Magnet) in exchange for the email address.
Don’t skimp here. Give the most ridiculously cool and generous lead magnet you can. What are some examples? I regularly give away 5 complete books when people sign up for my newsletter.
Or an entirely free course (More about courses later). The more insane value you offer, the more likely leads will gladly hand over their email addresses.
Where do you get this amazing free resource? You go back to that well of ideas from your Facebook group and all the blogs you have posted on your website.
See how these machines just keep on giving? See how they work together to compound your eBook marketing results?
Yep, this is another “set it and forget it” mini marketing machine that builds your email list while you sleep.
Here’s an example of a simple landing page and sign-up form that you can create with the tools and templates likely offered for free by your email marketing platform:
Again, for both setting up your email management platform and 8 autoresponder emails, a simple Google search will walk you, step-by-step, through the process.
I am developing my own blog posts and video guides that I will link to as soon as they are complete.
One more thing on the email marketing machine. After the initial 8 emails, you can reuse and recycle the information from your Facebook Groups and the content you created (or are creating) with your Content Marketing Machine for sending to your email list.
Just repackage it into a free eBook, printable, or send links to a really helpful new blog post you write. Just continue to be helpful instead of abandoning your list.
After all, you want to promote all of your future eBooks, services, and offerings to this growing list.
Ok, let’s pause at this point. If you’ve been following along, you now have three insanely powerful eBook Marketing Strategies in full force. Your marketing machines are on the way to bringing in monster results.
But there is much more to come.
The next step is to craft an irresistible offer. Let’s get to it.
7) Irresistible Offer Machine (with bonuses)
We hinted at making irresistible offers in the last marketing strategy. The best email list lead magnets are irresistible offers. One of the most effective strategies for launching an eBook or selling an eBook is to combine it with ridiculously valuable bonuses.
An irresistible offer is a marketing machine. You can unleash it as a lead magnet and/or in those last (6th-8th) sales emails in your email autoresponder series.
An irresistible offer usually includes:
- A surprisingly valuable add-on
- A sense that the offer is so over-the-top generous that “of course, I’m going to click that button/take that offer/buy that product”
I like to give free audio lessons, webinars, eBooks, tip sheets, cheat sheets, special reports, templates, and entire courses away. Why? They spark action. They move potential customers into my orbit, onto my mailing list, and into what the professionals call a Sales Funnel.
Remember, you don’t need to reinvent the wheel or come up with anything new for these offers. You simply reuse and upcycle your existing content from your blog and Facebook Groups.
Slap on a nice $5 book cover from a Fiverr graphic designer (or, even better, create your own using a website like Canva) and, boom, you have your irresistible offer machine purring into motion. Easy, peasy.
Here’s a book cover I created in no time with Canva.
Oh, and I created the 3D effect with a free online resource at https://www.adazing.com/cover-mocks/
6) Pinterest Marketing Machine
Are you ready to take your traffic to the next level? The Pinterest eBook marketing strategy is one of the most underappreciated, underutilized, and under-maximized.
It may sound crazy to you, but some of the most successful online influencers, eBook marketers, and online gurus employ this strategy to the tune of $1,000 up to $10,000 per month.
Pinterest offers free targeted traffic that your blog posts, landing pages, lead magnets, and email sequences can convert into eBook customers.
Get ready for massive results.
Here are the simple steps:
- Sign up for a Pinterest business account (it’s free)
- Create approximately 10 boards that cover every aspect of the topic of your eBook (also the topic of your website, blog, Facebook Group, and…you get the picture 😊.
- Use that SEO knowledge you gained from your Content Marketing Machine to write some sweet SEO into the Pin Board descriptions.
- Just be sure not to “stuff” keywords everywhere.
- The description should flow like real sentences.
- Pin at least 10 pins on each board so they don’t look empty.
- Every time you create a new blog post, create a Pin using Canva (or another such website).
- Link the image (Pin) to your blog post.
- An easy way to do this is to create a Pinterest Pin that you place somewhere on your blog post.
- Then, when you open Pinterest, you can “pin” that image with an automatic link to your post.
- Over time, Pinterest users will find your Pins, click on your Pins and make their way to your blog posts, and into your sales funnel.
Although I use a special WordPress theme, Acadabo, that hides an “invisible” Pinterest Pin on each of my blog posts, this time I wanted to show you the types of Pins I use.
I created the following Pin with Canva, a free graphic design website.
Pro tip: Search for Pins related to your topic on Pinterest. The Pins that come up first are typically the most popular, so study them. What color schemes do they use? How much text? Look for patterns that you can apply to your own Pins to maximize results.
5) Marketplace eBook Marketing Machine
You can set up service marketplaces like Fiverr and Upwork to send you tons of paid traffic. After creating an account with these marketplaces, you can offer services related to the topic of your eBook, deliver exceptional service, and then direct customers to your email opt-in page with your irresistible lead magnet.
Once these leads join your email list, they are in your sales funnel. That’s the way these marketplaces can pay you to build your email list and send traffic that you can then convert into sales.
Like the other marketing machines in this list, Fiverr and Upwork can be automatic. There are actually at least two ways to get this done:
- Offer services that you can do automatically, such as send resources (content that you have created from your other machines).
- Outsource your services to others (such as virtual assistants or other service providers on the marketplace who offer the same but cheaper services. You keep any profit.)
The key with all of these eBook promotion strategies is to apply cleverness and creativity to existing platforms where potential leads congregate. ANY platform (social media platforms, marketplaces, etc.) can be viewed and leveraged through this traffic and marketing lens.
What marketplace services can you offer?
- Send products or content
- Create content (blog posts, websites, email campaigns)
- Teach technology
The sky really is the limit. It’s best to connect your service to the topic of your eBook so that you attract qualified leads into your sales funnel.
Once they are in your funnel, you can promote your eBook (and any other products you ever create) to them for life!
4) Video Preview Marketing Machine
If you want to take your eBook sales to the stratosphere, add videos and video previews to the sales funnel. They don’t need to be professional-grade videos, just clean and clear with decent audio. The phone on your camera is probably good enough. Same with the webcam built into most laptops.
Of course, you can invest in an expensive camera like a Rebel T6 and a professional Blue Yeti microphone, but you don’t have to, especially at first. This all can be done for free or on a bootstrap budget.
Videos are proven to increase engagement and conversions. That’s money to the marketer’s ears.
Where can you add videos?
- Your Facebook Group (just record yourself answering a group question or post a video talking about the topic).
- Your blog posts (add screen recordings or relevant YouTube videos to bring extra value to your written content)
- Your landing pages and opt-in forms (short video testimonials or you introducing the lead magnet, for example)
- Your final three emails in your autoresponder sales sequence (Make a short video of you introducing the eBook, video testimonials, or answering some of the FAQs)
By adding video, you suddenly transform your content into a multimedia experience.
When you start experimenting with video, you begin to realize all the possibilities. Instead of a short video, you can record an entirely free webinar on a platform like Zoom and offer it as your lead magnet or as a bonus with your eBook.
Many many top marketers use free webinars to offer ridiculous value, build credibility and move potential customers through their sales funnel.
Video is just another sales machine ready for activation.
Since we’re talking about video, let’s throw down the gauntlet with the next marketing machine…
3) YouTube eBook Marketing Machine
You are about to see how all of the customer information and content continue to pay dividends. It’s like connecting a series of highly sophisticated marketing machines that power each other – all adding immense value to your audience. You get the ultimate benefit!
Here are the main steps:
- Create a free YouTube channel
- Upload all or some of the videos you have been making for your blog, landing page, and email content.
- Make new videos based on the needs, wants, and questions of your Facebook Marketing Machine.
- Turn your blog posts into highly SEO-optimized YouTube videos. There’s a really cool tool that makes this crazy simple.
- Turn each chapter (or a few chapters) of your eBook into long-form YouTube videos with tons of content.
- In the video description box, include links to your other YouTube videos (keep viewers engaged with your content). Also, include a link to your landing page with your irresistible offer that connects to your sales funnel. See how this all works together! Badda bing, badda boom!
- Post a new video as often as you can (they can be short). Make them super helpful. Don’t worry about giving away good content for free. Give the best advice you can and people will gladly enter your sales funnel and buy your eBook (and other products and services) from you.
Those free webinars you created in the video marketing machine? You can upload them to YouTube to gain massive views, subscriptions, and engagements. Be sure to respond to comments for the first few days after you post a video.
Here’s the really cool thing: once you reach YouTube’s requirement ( it changes, but right now it is 1,000 subscribers and, separately, 4,000 hours of watch time within a 30-day period) you can accept ads on your videos. Yes, you can get paid to market your eBook. Brilliant!
So, you are sending traffic to your eBook marketing sales funnel in multiple ways already:
- Your Facebook Group
- Your website and blog
- Your Pinterest account
- Your Fiverr (and Upwork account)
- And now your YouTube channel
All that traffic poured into your sales funnel is going to explode your eBook sales.
But we’re not done here yet.
2) Udemy eBook Marketing Machine
Speaking of video, you can leverage a powerful secret marketing machine that will not only do all the heavy promotional work for you but will pay you to do it! What is this magical unicorn of a marketing strategy? Believe it or not, it’s Udemy.
Udemy is a marketplace for online courses. The prices for the courses are almost always very low, so why would I recommend you use it? I wouldn’t. Wait, what?!
Yes, if you turn your eBook into a course and sell it on Udemy, you will be throwing away lots of money (and lots of valuable content). I wouldn’t suggest that you go that route. However, you can do something much more clever.
Turn your free opt-in into an introductory course on Udemy – that is better than free, it’s PAID marketing just like with YouTube and your blog (except, in this case, every marketing effort is paid from the jump and Udemy does ALL the marketing work for you).
Oh, and remember, this is content you already have created and available.
Here are the important steps:
- Create a Udemy Instructor account (it’s free)
- Video yourself going over your content, add in a few screen recordings (you can use a free software called OBS), a few quizzes and you have yourself a paid course.
- Don’t market this course. Udemy will do all the marketing for you. (And they pay you to market your paid eBook for you!)
- In the last video of the course, and maybe on a free printable tip sheet, simply direct your paid course students to your sales funnel. This way you get them on your email list, and your email sequence upsells them on your eBook.
Udemy has over 8 million users. That’s 8 million potential leads. It’s more than a marketing machine. It’s a marketing behemoth.
Once you make your course (it probably will take you a few hours to a few days), you sit back and let Udemy do all the marketing for you.
If you want, you can upcycle some of that other information from your Facebook Marketing Machine, Content Marketing machine, and YouTube Marketing Machine into other paid courses on Udemy.
Imagine a whole army of Udemy course marketing machines paying you to feed you traffic. Now that’s an eBook marketing strategy I can get behind.
1) Course Marketing Machine (easy with digital products)
Congratulations! You made it to the final strategy. Look at you – winning!
In the last strategy, I warned against transforming your eBook into a low-paying course. I stick by that recommendation. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make it into a course at all, just that you should sell the course yourself for whatever price you want.
Why sell an eBook when you can easily sell an entire course (that also includes the eBook)?
When you sell your own course, you set your own price and get to keep the vast majority of the profits.
Some professionals sell their courses for $27, $50, $75, and over $100. Some even sell courses into the multiple hundreds or thousands (although often this comes with an ongoing membership).
If you have already turned your eBook into a series of videos, you might as well make it a video course with your eBook as the course material.
Here’s how it can work:
- Make videos for each chapter of your eBook
- Collect some bonuses from your other content (blog posts, lead magnets, etc.) to add to your course.
- Host the course on Google Drive in one single folder with restricted access, or some other similar online location.
- When people pay you via PayPal, you send them the access link to the Google Drive folder.
You can also use paid services like Click Funnels, Easy Digital Downloads, and Teachable to manage the payment and automatically send the course to people who pay. It’s completely up to you.
E-book Marketing Machine Nation
Think about the potency of these tactics. All of your eBook Marketing Machines feed leads into your sales funnel that ultimately sells your higher-priced course. Effectively, you are running a series of automated eBook marketing campaigns.
You can keep upgrading your course and therefore increasing the price. You can spin your constant content sources into a million products.
Eventually, you can create even your own subscription service membership site where you offer all of your courses, content, and personal coaching. That’s how you turn an eBook into a self-sustaining, highly profitable six-figure business.
5 thoughts on “10 eBook Marketing Strategies (2023)”
Pingback: How to Start a Blog for Free and Make Money – Writing Beginner
Pingback: How to Become a Fortune Cookie Writer – Writing Beginner
Pingback: The Best Writing Books For Beginners – Writing Beginner
Pingback: Why Should Writers Start YouTube Channels? – Writing Beginner
Pingback: Can You Publish a Book For Free? – Writing Beginner
Comments are closed.