I’ve written book dedications for all of my novels and books, so I know how challenging it can be to write a good one.
Here’s how to write a book dedication:
Write a book dedication page by focusing on one person at a time, keeping it short, making it personal, and choosing a single emotion to convey. Study other great book dedication pages. You can also use a book dedication template or book dedication generator to make the dedication for you.
In this blog post, you’ll learn everything you need to know about how to write a book dedication they will love.
What Is a Book Dedication?
A book dedication is a page (often the second page of the book) where the author writes a special message to someone important in their life.
This could be a family member, friend, or teacher who encouraged them to pursue their dream of writing.
Dedications are also sometimes used to honor someone who has passed away.
In this case, the dedication might be a quotation or poem that reminds the reader of the person being honored. No matter what the reason for the dedication, it is always a nice gesture to write one.
It shows that the author is grateful for the support they have received and wants to share their success with others.
How To Write a Great Book Dedication (My 11 Best Tips)
There are many ways to write a book dedication to your friend, family member, mentor, or that other significant person in your life.
After writing and publishing a half dozen books over the last 20 years, here are my best book dedication writing tips.
1) Focus On One Person
It’s no secret that a dedication is one of the most important parts of a book.
After all, it’s where you get to honor one special person (or a very few people) with this book. But with so many people to thank, it can be tempting to try to cram everything into a single page.
However, when it comes to the dedication, less is definitely more.
By focusing on just one person (or, at least, one person at a time), you can ensure that your words are heartfelt and sincere.
Plus, your reader will be able to appreciate your words all the more. So next time you sit down to write a dedication, take a deep breath and focus on just one person.
Remember, the book dedication is meant for one special person per book.
You can thank everyone else in the Acknowledgements section.
2) Choose a Single Emotion To Convey
When it comes to writing a book dedication, it’s important to choose a single emotion to focus on.
Trying to be funny and serious at the same time can confuse the reader and take away from the impact of your words. By focusing on a single emotion, you can more effectively capture the essence of your dedication and communicate your feelings in a clear and concise way.
So, what’s the best emotion to choose?
It depends on the tone of your book and the message you want to convey. If your book is lighthearted and fun, you might dedicate it to “the joy of reading.”
If it’s a more serious work, you might choose to dedicate it to “the power of stories.”
Whatever emotion you choose, make sure that it is authentic and meaningful to you. Only then will your dedication truly resonate with readers.
3) Keep It Short and Sweet
A book dedication is a brief statement, usually just a few words, that acknowledges the people or things that have influenced your work.
While it might be tempting to use the dedication as an opportunity to recount your entire life story, it’s important to keep it short and sweet. A good dedication is positive and concise, and it gives readers a glimpse into your motivations for writing the book.
There are a few reasons why it’s important to keep your dedication short.
First, dedications are often printed in very small type, so you want to make sure that your readers will be able to easily read it.
Second, a long-winded dedication can quickly become boring, and you don’t want to lose your readers before they even start reading your book.
Finally, a short dedication lets you leave room for a personal message from you to the reader. This can be a great way to connect with your audience and make your book even more special.
A few well-chosen words will be just as meaningful as pages of prose, and they’ll make sure that your readers keep coming back for more.
4) Remember that a Book Dedication Is Public
When you’re writing a book dedication, it’s important to keep in mind that anything you include will be available for anyone in the world to read.
You want to avoid anything too personal or negative.
A dedication is a great place to express your gratitude to the people who have supported you through the process of writing your book. Remember that this is a public statement, so you don’t want to say anything that could be interpreted as negative or offensive.
Keep it positive and make sure it’s something you’re comfortable sharing with the world.
5) Address the Person
When it comes to book dedications, addressing the person you are dedicating the book to is of the utmost importance.
Whether you address them by their first name (John or Nadia), by their role in your life (Dad or Wife), or with a nickname (Pops or Dream Girl), make sure that the dedication is coming from a place of sincerity.
The dedication should reflect your relationship with the person and why you are choosing to dedicate your book to them.
You might want to avoid cliches, such as “This book is dedicated to my one and only” or “This book is dedicated to the love of my life.”
Instead, focus on sharing a short, personal phrase or saying something that will resonate with the reader.
6) Share the Reason for the Dedication
If you’re like me, then you want your book dedications to be more than just a list of names.
You want them to be thoughtful and meaningful, conveying the reasons why you are dedicating your book to each person.
And while it’s important to be concise, it’s even more important to be honest. So rather than simply saying, “I dedicate this book to my mother,” try something like, “I dedicate this book to my mother, who has always believed in me even when no one else did.”
By sharing the reasons behind your dedication, you can turn a simple list of names into a heartfelt tribute.
7) Get Inspired By Other Great Book Dedications
One of the best ways to come up with a great dedication for your book is to read dedications from other books.
You can look for dedications in books that are similar to yours in genre or subject matter, or you can simply look for dedications that speak to you on an emotional level.
As you read, pay attention to the tone of the dedications and the types of people or things that are being honored.
You may also want to take note of any particularly clever or memorable phrases.
Once you’ve collected a few examples of inspiring dedications, you can start brainstorming your own. Keep these other book dedications in mind as you write, and don’t be afraid to experiment until you find something that feels just right.
8) Make a Creative Twist
Writing a book dedication can be a challenging but rewarding task.
While there are no hard and fast rules for writing a dedication, you may want to consider taking a creative approach. This could involve using unique words or phrases, a quote or poem, or some other special way to tribute the importance of the person or people you are dedicating your book to.
By doing something different than other authors, you can make your dedication stand out and leave a lasting impression.
Not to mention, it can also become part of your “signature” as an author – giving your fans and readers one more reason to read your book.
9) Write a Few Versions
Trying out different styles can be a great way to find your favorite one.
And you don’t have to stick to just one version – you can write a few different versions and then A/B test them to see which one gets the best reaction from readers.
So how do you go about writing multiple book dedications?
- Start by brainstorming some different ideas.
- Write them down in a list or in a document so you can refer back to them later.
- Once you have a good selection of ideas, start writing them out in full.
- Try out different styles and voices until you find one that feels right.
- Get feedback from others – their input can help you choose the perfect dedication.
10) Connect It to the Themes of Your Book
While dedications are personal, they can also be tied to the themes of your book.
For example, if your book is about following your dreams despite obstacles, you might dedicate it to someone who supported you during a difficult time in your life.
Or if your book is about the importance of family, you might dedicate it to your parents or grandparents.
By tying your dedication back to the themes of your book, you can create a personal and meaningful message for your readers.
11) Don’t Overthink It
It’s finally finished. The last sentence is written, the final period is in place, and all that’s left to do is come up with a dedication.
For some authors, this is the easy part.
They know exactly who they want to dedicate their work to and why. But for others, the dedication can be a source of anxiety.
After all, this is a public declaration of gratitude or admiration.
It’s also a permanent fixture in the book, so it’s important to get it right. If you’re struggling to find the perfect words, take comfort in knowing that there are no official rules for dedications.
You can keep it short and sweet or write a heartfelt letter.
You can even choose not to include one at all. So whatever you do, don’t overthink it. The most important thing is that you’re happy with the final result.
Who Can an Author Dedicate a Book To? (20 Options)
The short answer is that you can dedicate a book to anyone.
It’s really up to you as the author. To help you come up with the perfect person for your book dedication, I made a list of 20 different people you might choose.
You can dedicate your book to:
- Best friend
- Person featured in the book
- Inspirational person
- Another Author
- Spiritual leader
- The reader
- Someone who passed away
- Historical figure
- Local hero
150 Book Dedication Examples
As we mentioned earlier, reading examples of book dedications is one of the best ways to learn how to craft your own dedication.
In this section, I’ve collected and created the best book dedication examples.
Book Dedication Examples for a Friend
I’m dedicating this book to my best friend, Sarah. We’ve been through a lot together, and she’s always been there for me. I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her.
To my best friend. Thank you for your patience, your kindness, and most of all, your friendship. I couldn’t have asked for more. This book is dedicated to you with all my love.
This book is dedicated to my friend, Jane. You’ve been a true friend, and I can’t imagine going through life without you by my side.
Book Dedication Examples to a Child
For my sweet little girl, who always keeps me entertained. I love you to the moon and back!
To my beautiful daughter, who fills my life with happiness. You are my everything.
To my handsome son, who is the light of my life. I am so proud of the young man you are becoming.
Book Dedication to Parents Examples
To my mother, who always believed in me. To my father, who taught me to never give up. To my parents, who showed me that anything is possible. Thank you for your love and support. I dedicate this book to you.
To my wonderful mother, who always believed in me and encouraged me to follow my dreams. Thank you for your love and support, which have meant everything to me. I am so grateful to have you in my life.
To my amazing father, who has always been there for me. Thank you for your wisdom, your strength, and your endless love. I am so lucky to have you as my father and my friend.
To the two of you, who have given me more than I could ever possibly hope for. Thank you for your love, your laughter, and your never-ending patience. I am so blessed to have both of you in my life.
To my adoptive parents, who took me in and loved me unconditionally. Thank you for everything.
Book Dedication Examples for Family
I am writing this book in dedication to my grandfather. He was always such a huge supporter of my writing and encouraged me to never give up on my dreams. I know that he is looking down on me from heaven and smiling, proud of the woman that I have become.
This book is for you, grandma. Thank you for always believing in me.
To my twin brother, who is always there for me when I need him. I know we drive each other crazy sometimes, but I wouldn’t trade you for the world.
Book Dedication for Mentor
To my mentor, Dr. Smith. Your guidance and support have been invaluable to me over the years. Thank you for always being there when I needed you.
To my mentor and friend, Jim Harrison. Thank you for your wisdom, your wit, and your friendship. I am truly grateful.
To the best mentor a girl could ask for, my mom. Thank you for always believing in me and for teaching me to never give up on myself. I love you.
Book Dedication for Cancer Survivor
To my mother, who fought cancer with strength and courage. You are my inspiration
To all the cancer survivors out there – never give up hope.
To those who have lost a loved one to cancer. This book is dedicated to you in memory of your loved one
Funny Book Dedication Examples
To my second-cousin’s ex-boyfriend’s goldfish, may your bowl always be full of pellets and your life free ofalgae.
For my father, who never once read any of my books but always pretended to. Thanks, Daddio!
I would like to dedicate this book to my cat, Snickers, who always sleeps through my alarm clock going off; to my Grandma, who still thinks an ‘@’ is a duck; and last but not least, to Wikipedia, without which I would never have finished this book at all.
Famous Book Dedication Examples
To HerThe Complete Tales of Winnie The Poo by A.A. Milne
Hand in hand we come
Christopher Robin and I
To lay this book in your lap.
Say you’re surprised?
Say you like it?
Say it’s just what you wanted?
Because it’s yours—
Because we love you.
For Colin Firth
You’re a really great guy, but I’m married, so I think we should just be friends.Austenland by Shannon Hale
*Waves*The Selection by Kiera Cass
Book Dedication Examples for Grandparents
- “To my grandmother, whose stories of old have always been a beacon of wisdom and wonder in my life.”
- “For Grandpa, whose tales of yesteryears ignited my imagination – this book is a tribute to your legacy.”
- “Dedicated to my Nana, whose love and warmth are woven into the fabric of every page.”
- “To my beloved Granny, whose life is a tapestry of the richest stories. Your journey inspires mine.”
- “For my grandfather, a man of few words but profound wisdom. This book mirrors your quiet strength.”
Book Dedication for Siblings
- “To my brother, who has been my partner in crime and my steadfast supporter through every plot twist of life.”
- “For my sister, who has always been the star of my real-life stories. Your laughter is my favorite soundtrack.”
- “Dedicated to my siblings – the first characters in my story and the strongest supporters of my dream.”
- “To my little brother, who always believed in fairy tales and made me believe in them too.”
- “For my elder sister, whose guidance has been the guiding light in the darkest chapters of my life.”
Book Dedication for a Teacher
- “To Mrs. Thompson, who taught me that words have power and stories can change the world.”
- “For my first teacher, who introduced me to the alphabet and, thereby, to endless possibilities.”
- “Dedicated to my high school English teacher, whose passion for literature has been the cornerstone of my own journey.”
- “To the teacher who didn’t just explain texts, but showed me how to unravel their magic.”
- “For the educator who saw a writer in a confused teenager. Your faith has shaped these pages.”
Book Dedication for a Pet
- “To Buddy, my loyal four-legged friend, who has been by my side through every word written.”
- “For Luna, whose playful spirit and unwavering companionship have been the joy in my writing journey.”
- “Dedicated to Oliver, my furry muse, whose antics filled the breaks and spaces between writing.”
- “To my faithful companion, Bella, who has patiently listened to every draft, purring in encouragement.”
- “For my beloved pet, who has been more than a friend – a source of unconditional love and inspiration.”
Book Dedication for a Deceased Loved One
- “In loving memory of John, whose spirit and love continue to guide me beyond the veil of absence.”
- “For my late mother, who dances in the words and lives in the stories. Forever in my heart.”
- “Dedicated to a soul not lost, but living within these pages – my dear departed father.”
- “To my angel above, whose memory is a lighthouse in the seas of creativity and life.”
- “For the one who left too soon – your legacy is the ink with which this book is written.”
Book Dedication for a Historical Figure
- “Inspired by the resilience of Rosa Parks, whose courage writes stories of hope and change.”
- “For Leonardo da Vinci, whose boundless curiosity and unparalleled genius light the path for dreamers.”
- “Dedicated to the memory of Nelson Mandela, whose life is a testament to the power of unyielding determination.”
- “To Jane Austen, who painted worlds with words and showed us the enduring power of character.”
- “For Albert Einstein, whose vision transcended time and space, inspiring generations to look beyond.”
Book Dedication for a Fictional Character
- “To Sherlock Holmes, who taught me that every detail tells a story.”
- “For Elizabeth Bennet, whose wit and spirit have been a guiding force in my writing.”
- “Dedicated to Frodo Baggins, a small character with a heart large enough to carry the heaviest of burdens.”
- “To Atticus Finch, whose integrity and compassion are the benchmarks for my characters.”
- “For Harry Potter, who showed us that magic is real and lives within us.”
Book Dedication for a Role Model
- “To Malala Yousafzai, whose bravery and dedication to education light up every word I write.”
- “For Michelle Obama, a beacon of strength, grace, and empowerment in every chapter of life.”
- “Dedicated to Steve Jobs, whose vision and tenacity inspire the narrative of innovation in these pages.”
- “To Oprah Winfrey, whose journey of resilience and success writes a story of hope and determination.”
- “For Maya Angelou, whose words dance with dignity and truth, guiding my pen with every stroke.”
Book Dedication for a Colleague
- “To my colleague and friend, David, whose insights at the water cooler have been as invaluable as those in boardrooms.”
- “For Sarah, a teammate whose support and camaraderie have made even the toughest deadlines a joy.”
- “Dedicated to the unsung heroes of my workplace – your daily dedication fuels my creative fires.”
- “To my mentor at work, who taught me that professionalism and passion are the twin pillars of success.”
- “For the colleagues who are more family than co-workers, you color my professional life with personal hues.”
Book Dedication for a Community
- “To the people of my hometown, whose shared stories and collective wisdom breathe life into these pages.”
- “For the community that raised me – your values and spirit echo in every word.”
- “Dedicated to the artists and dreamers of the city that never sleeps. Your heartbeat is the rhythm of this story.”
- “To the global community fighting for environmental conservation, your cause is the inspiration behind this narrative.”
- “For the vibrant tapestry of cultures that is my neighborhood, you paint my world with diverse strokes.”
Book Dedication for a Cultural Icon
- “To Frida Kahlo, whose art speaks a language of strength and raw beauty, inspiring my own creative voice.”
- “For Bob Marley, whose melodies are a symphony of peace, love, and resilience in the face of adversity.”
- “Dedicated to Audrey Hepburn, an epitome of elegance and compassion, both on-screen and off.”
- “To Bruce Lee, whose philosophy and mastery in martial arts transcend physical boundaries into the realm of the spiritual.”
- “For Cesar Chavez, a beacon of hope and relentless advocate for the rights of the marginalized.”
Book Dedication for a Philanthropist
- “To Melinda Gates, whose tireless work in bridging gaps and building a better future illuminates every chapter.”
- “For Warren Buffet, a symbol of wisdom in both finance and philanthropy, guiding principles in this story.”
- “Dedicated to the unsung heroes in every charity and nonprofit organization, your selflessness writes the best parts of humanity.”
- “To the philanthropists who remain unnamed but whose impact is immeasurable, this book mirrors your quiet contribution.”
- “For those who give not to gain but to ignite change, your spirit of generosity is the true wealth depicted in these pages.”
Book Dedication for a Spiritual Leader
- “To the Dalai Lama, whose teachings of compassion and humanity are the undercurrents of this narrative.”
- “For Mother Teresa, whose life of service is a beacon of selfless love and hope in a world in need of both.”
- “Dedicated to Thich Nhat Hanh, whose mindfulness and peace are the ink with which I write.”
- “To Rumi, whose poetry delves into the soul and dances with the essence of existence.”
- “For Saint Francis of Assisi, a symbol of simplicity and harmony with nature, virtues that guide my storytelling.”
Book Dedication for a First Responder
- “To the brave firefighters who risk their lives daily, your courage and dedication fuel every heroic character in this book.”
- “For the healthcare workers on the frontlines, your stories of resilience and care are the heartbeat of this narrative.”
- “Dedicated to the police officers who protect and serve with honor, your commitment to safety inspires my themes of justice.”
- “To the paramedics, the unsung heroes in times of crisis, your selflessness is the true heroism depicted here.”
- “For every first responder, in every unnoticed act of bravery, you are the silent guardians woven into these stories.”
Book Dedication for a Personal Hero
- “To my personal hero, whose battles fought in silence echo loudly in the courage of my characters.”
- “For the one who faced life’s storms with a smile, teaching me the true meaning of strength and resilience.”
- “Dedicated to the hero in my life story, whose ordinary acts create extraordinary ripples of change.”
- “To the individual whose quiet presence has been a fortress in my times of need. You are my unsung hero.”
- “For the person who, without cape or fanfare, shows what it means to be heroic in everyday life.”
Book Dedication for an Activist
- “To Greta Thunberg, a young voice with an old soul, championing a cause larger than life – you inspire my words.”
- “For Malcom X, whose boldness and unapologetic quest for justice and equality resonate in every line of this narrative.”
- “Dedicated to Rosa Parks, whose simple act of defiance speaks volumes of courage and sparks change in these pages.”
- “To Martin Luther King Jr., a dreamer, a doer, and an eternal inspiration for every word that seeks equality.”
- “For Angela Davis, whose relentless fight for rights and justice mirrors the battles fought in this book.”
Book Dedication for an Environmentalist
- “To David Attenborough, whose voice has been a clarion call for the protection of our precious planet.”
- “For Jane Goodall, whose dedication to wildlife conservation breathes life into my environmental themes.”
- “Dedicated to Wangari Maathai, planting seeds of change and hope, a legacy that grows within these chapters.”
- “To Greta Thunberg, again, for showing the world that the voice of one can echo as the voice of millions.”
- “For the unsung heroes fighting against climate change, your resilience is the wind beneath the wings of this story.”
Book Dedication for a Musician
- “To the melodies of John Lennon, which have been a soundtrack to the writing of this book.”
- “For Freddie Mercury, whose unbridled energy and passion leap off these pages.”
- “Dedicated to Beethoven, a maestro of emotions, orchestrating feelings that resonate through my words.”
- “To Ella Fitzgerald, whose voice transcends time and genre, much like the stories told here.”
- “For Bob Dylan, a poet and a prophet, whose lyrics have always guided my pen.”
Book Dedication for an Artist
- “To Van Gogh, whose strokes of genius paint the emotions that words alone cannot capture.”
- “For Frida Kahlo, a spirit unbroken, reflecting the resilience in my characters.”
- “Dedicated to Leonardo da Vinci, a master of art and science, inspiring multidimensional creativity in this work.”
- “To Georgia O’Keeffe, whose bold and vibrant perspectives color the narrative of this book.”
- “For Banksy, a modern enigma, challenging perceptions and conventions, much like the twists in these stories.”
Book Dedication for a Humanitarian
- “To Mother Teresa, whose life of selfless love and service is a guiding light in these pages.”
- “For Nelson Mandela, embodying forgiveness and reconciliation, themes deeply woven into this narrative.”
- “Dedicated to the anonymous aid workers who brave danger to bring hope – you are the unsung heroes in this tale.”
- “To Kailash Satyarthi, a champion for the voiceless, echoing the fight for justice in this book.”
- “For Malala Yousafzai, a beacon of bravery and advocate for education, inspiring the quest for knowledge here.”
Book Dedication for an Astronaut
- “To Neil Armstrong, who took one small step for man and a giant leap for my imagination.”
- “For Sally Ride, who shattered glass ceilings and soared beyond earthly limits, inspiring the heights reached in these pages.”
- “Dedicated to Chris Hadfield, whose views from space broaden our own horizons on Earth.”
- “To Mae Jemison, whose journey to the stars fuels the dreams woven into these words.”
- “For the pioneers of space exploration, who remind us that the sky is not the limit, but just the beginning.”
Book Dedication for a Filmmaker
- “To Alfred Hitchcock, whose mastery of suspense has inspired the twists in my tale.”
- “For Ava DuVernay, a storyteller who brings truth and perspective to light, much like the narratives in this book.”
- “Dedicated to Akira Kurosawa, whose cinematic genius paints every scene within these pages.”
- “To Spielberg, a weaver of dreams, who taught me that every great story needs a heart.”
- “For Hayao Miyazaki, whose imagination flies on the wings of freedom, inspiring the whimsy in my work.”
Book Dedication for a Scientist
- “To Marie Curie, whose relentless pursuit of knowledge lights up the path of discovery in this narrative.”
- “For Carl Sagan, who brought the cosmos within reach and sparked wonder in the minds of many, including mine.”
- “Dedicated to Isaac Newton, uncovering the universal truths that are the foundation of many plots here.”
- “To Jane Goodall, again, for showing that empathy and observation can unlock the greatest mysteries.”
- “For Nikola Tesla, a visionary far ahead of his time, energizing the innovative spirit of this book.”
Book Dedication for a Poet
- “To Rumi, whose words dance with the soul and inspire the rhythm of my own.”
- “For Maya Angelou, a caged bird who sang with unshakeable resolve, echoing in the voices of my characters.”
- “Dedicated to Pablo Neruda, whose poetry captures the essence of passion and longing found in these pages.”
- “To Langston Hughes, who painted dreams with words, coloring the narrative of this story.”
- “For Emily Dickinson, a recluse whose words reached out and touched the world, much like the whispers in this book.”
Book Dedication for a Journalist
- “To Christiane Amanpour, whose fearless pursuit of truth mirrors the quests of my protagonists.”
- “For Bob Woodward, who unraveled stories of great consequence, inspiring the uncovering of secrets in this plot.”
- “Dedicated to Ida B. Wells, a beacon of courage and justice, qualities imbued in the heroes of this tale.”
- “To Anderson Cooper, whose compassionate storytelling reflects the empathy and depth in these chapters.”
- “For Walter Cronkite, a trusted voice in a world of noise, guiding the narrative clarity in this work.”
Book Dedication for a Political Leader
- “To Nelson Mandela, whose legacy of perseverance and reconciliation breathes life into the leadership qualities of my characters.”
- “For Angela Merkel, exemplifying strength and resilience in a world of complex politics, inspiring the diplomatic threads in this narrative.”
- “Dedicated to Abraham Lincoln, a figure of integrity and unity, traits that resonate through the heroes in these pages.”
- “To Jacinda Ardern, for leading with empathy and strength, qualities that echo in the protagonist of this story.”
- “For Mahatma Gandhi, whose principles of non-violence and truth light up the path of my narrative’s journey.”
Book Dedication for a Sports Personality
- “To Serena Williams, whose unparalleled determination and grace under pressure inspire the strength of my characters.”
- “For Muhammad Ali, a champion not just in the ring but in the face of adversity, shaping the resilience in this book.”
- “Dedicated to Usain Bolt, whose speed and charisma are the energy that drives the pace of this narrative.”
- “To Michael Jordan, a symbol of excellence and commitment, qualities that leap off every page of this story.”
- “For Simone Biles, who redefines the limits of possibility, inspiring the heights my characters aspire to.”
Book Dedication for a Fictional Hero
- “To Atticus Finch, whose moral compass and quiet courage navigate the ethical dilemmas within these chapters.”
- “For Katniss Everdeen, a beacon of resilience and rebellion, lighting the fire of my protagonist’s journey.”
- “Dedicated to Frodo Baggins, whose humble bravery and unyielding spirit are echoed in the heart of my tale.”
- “To Hermione Granger, whose intellect and loyalty are the pillars upon which my main character stands.”
- “For Elizabeth Bennet, who navigates her world with wit and integrity, guiding the journey of my own heroine.”
Here is a video with some of the best book dedications ever:
Book Dedication Templates
Feel free to use one of these book dedication templates to help you write your dedication.
How do you write a book dedication using a template? Simply fill in the blanks Mad Libs style with the details from your book and your life.
I hope they help!
Book Dedication Template #1
[Name of book] is dedicated to [person], who [action]. Without [pronoun], I would never have [adverb] [verb]ed my way to [noun].
Thank you for always being there when I needed you, and for [opinion] [noun].
This book is for you!
Book Dedication Template #2
To (insert name or role),
Without you, this book would not have been possible. You were my (adjective noun) when I needed it and my (adverb noun) when I was struggling. Your (emotion) is what got me through the (difficult event). I am dedicating this book to you.
Thank you for everything,
Book Dedication Generators
You can also use a book dedication generator to automatically make your dedication for you. Then you can tweak the generated text to make it more personal to you and the other person(s).
Here is a table with my favorite book dedication generators:
|Best Book Dedication Generators
|Jasper AI Writer (My overall favorite)
|Best Overall Book Dedication Generator
|Runner Up Book Dedication Generator
|Best Budget Book Dedication Generator
|H-Supertools AI Writer
|Best Free Book Dedication Generator
How To Write a Dedication in a Children’s Book
When you’re writing a children’s book, it’s important to keep your dedication simple and use child-freindly language.
You can dedicate the book to a specific child, or just say that it’s for all the special kids in your life. However you choose to word it, make sure it comes from the heart.
If you want to add a little humor to your dedication, try something like, “This book is lovingly dedicated to all the children who have ever had a bedtime story read to them… even if they didn’t always listen.”
Or you could try, “This book is for every child who has ever wanted to stay up just five more minutes… even though they know they’ll be too tired for school in the morning.”
Whatever you write, make sure it brings a smile to the reader’s face.
Do You Need To Dedicate Your Book?
No, not at all.
It’s not like your book is going to be rejected if you don’t dedicate it to anyone.
In fact, some books don’t have dedications. However, it is seen as a nice gesture, especially if the book is based on true events or features someone who inspired you.
If you feel like dedicating your book, go ahead and do it.
But don’t sweat it if you can’t think of anyone to dedicate it to. Your book will still be published without a dedication.
Book Dedication Page vs Acknowledgements
A book dedication is a section of a book that is typically found near the beginning.
The author pays tribute to someone who has influenced their work.
An acknowledgement, on the other hand, is a section near the end of the book in which the author thanks everyone who helped with the creation of the book, from editors and beta-readers to coffee-fetching minions.
In short, a dedication is about one person and usually comes at the start of the author’s journey.
An acknowledgement is about many people and comes at the end.
Final Thoughts: How To Write a Book Dedication
Ultimately, you can write a book dedication in any way that you want.
As long as you are happy with it, that’s what matters most. Don’t underestimate the potential for a book dedication to make a huge impact on the honored person and your readers.
Read these posts next: