I’ve been writing on Medium for several years and I’d be lying if I said that I never thought about selling my account or buying a new one.
Can you buy and sell a Medium account?
You can technically buy and sell a Medium account but it violates the explicit rules of Medium. Therefore, buying and selling a Medium account is possible but not recommended. Violating Medium rules can get an account penalized, restricted, and banned.
Keep reading to find out everything you need to know about buying and selling a Medium account.
Can You Buy and Sell a Medium Account? (Official Explanation)
According to the official Medium guidelines, you are not allowed to buy and sell Medium accounts.
Here is what Medium says:
We don’t allow artificial behaviors that skew this system and, as a result, degrade or distort other users’ experiences.
Buying, selling, or trading in accounts or account interactions — including views, reads, follows, claps, highlights, responses, or other traffic
Right there at the end of the quoted text, Medium clearly states that “buying, selling, or trading in accounts” is strictly forbidden.
Therefore, I strongly suggest that you avoid engaging in this violating behavior.
If you choose to buy or sell a Medium account, you do so at great risk. Your account can be blocked, banned, and selected without your permission and without explanation.
If that happens, then the Medium account you purchased for hundreds or thousands of dollars is now gone.
I want you to avoid that very frustrating experience.
Here is a good video I made about buying and selling Medium accounts:
Where To Buy and Sell a Medium Account
There are several websites where you can buy and sell Medium accounts.
Some of these websites are more reputable than others, but that doesn’t mean that all of the sellers are on the up and up.
Here are some places where you can buy Medium accounts:
- Black Hat World
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can try buying an account directly from an individual without using an online platform. This takes away the middleman, but it also exposes you to more risk if the buyer or seller is not legitimate.
Just be sure to do your due diligence before making any purchase – you don’t want to get scammed.
How To Buy and Sell a Medium Account
There are a few things to keep in mind before you buy or sell a Medium account.
First, it’s important to check the account and make sure it is active and has a good reputation. There are a few ways to do this, including looking at the number of followers, the quality of the content, and the engagement levels on the account.
It’s also important to check the seller to make sure they are legitimate.
A good way to do this is to look for reviews or testimonials from other buyers. Once you’ve done your research and found a reputable seller, you can start negotiating a price.
When you’re setting a price, be sure to take into account the monthly income from the account so that you can get a good return on your investment.
Once you’ve agreed on a price, it’s just a matter of transferring the funds and taking over the account.
Building a successful Medium account takes time and effort, but it can be extremely rewarding. The first step is to create high-quality content that people will want to read.
This means taking the time to write well-researched articles or stories that offer value to your readers.
It’s also important to promote your content so that people are aware of it. There are a number of ways to do this, including social media marketing, email marketing, and guest blogging.
Once you’ve built up a strong following, you can start monetizing your account by selling products or services or by placing ads on your articles.
If you’ve been consistent with providing quality content, you should be able to attract a high number of followers.
This can translate into a good selling price.
Just make sure to do your homework and find a reliable buyer prepared to pay a reasonable price for your account.
As a general rule of thumb, I’d suggest a price that is 10-40X your average monthly income.
Why Buy and Sell a Medium Account?
You might be wondering why someone would want to buy or sell a Medium account.
Here are the main reasons:
- To Save Time Building a Medium Account From Scratch. If you’ve already built up a following on another platform and you don’t want to start from scratch on Medium, buying an existing account can save you a lot of time.
- To Guarantee a Monthly Income From Medium. For many people, selling their Medium account is a way to guarantee a monthly income. If you’re worried about the future of your online business, selling your account can give you some financial stability. Likewise, you ensure monthly revenue if you purchase a Medium account that is already making money.
- To Make a Lump Sum of Money From Selling a Medium Account. If you need to make some quick money, selling your Medium account is one way to do it. You can often get hundreds or even thousands of dollars for an established account.
- To Stop Writing on Medium Without Completely Abandoning an Account. Sometimes people need to take a break from writing but they don’t want to lose all the progress they’ve made on their account. In these cases, a person might sell their accounts so that their “legacy” continues under the ownership of another author.
- To Instantly Meet the 100 Follower Guideline for Monetization on Medium. In order to start making money from your writing on Medium, you need to have at least 100 followers. If you don’t have that many yet, buying an existing account is one way to meet that guideline quickly.
Even with these valid reasons, buying or selling accounts on Medium is still against the official rules and policies.
Final Thoughts: Can You Buy and Sell a Medium Account?
Instead of buying and selling a Medium account, you can start a Medium blog and grow it organically over months and years.
While this takes longer and will probably not garner a windfall of money, it’s how I make between $1k and 3K each month.
It’s not easy but it is possible.
Read These Next:
- Do You Get Paid for Medium Articles? (Yes, With 7 Caveats)
- Where To Promote Medium Articles (21 Best Traffic-Boosters)
- Can You Make Money On Medium? (Ultimate Guide + Case Study)